Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Maligned Maggies

G'day All,
In some circles, the Australian Magpie is a maligned bird. They will aggressively defend their territory at times. Occasionally they will prey on smaller birds and when breeding, some individuals will attack anyone or anything that comes within cooee of their nest tree.


However, their rich carolling call is very easy on the ear, and I reckon they look smartly dressed in their contrasting black and white plumage. Wild birds will sometimes tame easily. Stories abound of 'pet' wild Magpies being hand fed and even venturing indoors for a handout.

This morning, these two were sharing a leftover dog bone in the front yard.


Meanwhile, an Eastern Rosella watched their antics from a nearby vantage point.

Yep, not too much wrong with our 'maggies' in my book.

Regards,
Gouldiae

PS: As I write this, I can hear rain on the roof - yippee!



6 comments:

  1. A lot of people around here find our Magpie's anoying. Their call is a little, but I find them quite humorous. Being of the corvid family they are most intelligent. The colors are the same here just arranged differently. It's hard to tell, but yours look bigger in the photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reared a Magpie once. When released it seemed to fit in with the local magpie group. However it would regularly come to the front door and sometimes even wandered into the lounge room and just hang out.

    We don't get any magpies where I am now. Not enough lawn I suspect. My own yard has grass but it has very rocky soil just under the surface so probably no good for them to forage. We're also right on the limit of their distribution area although there are plenty of them just a few km's away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some time ago my mother had one that used to come and call for food outside her kitchen window. It was very aggressive to everyone but her. However, it left me alone provided I put her hat on when I went outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love that story Mick.
    They're pretty widespread Mosura. Virtually anywhere there are trees and some open ground.
    38 - 44 cm (ah sorry Dave, about 15 to 18 inches), and yep, they are a smart bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They seem very similar to our black-billed magpies. I really enjoy watching them work a problem. Maybe someday I will get to see yours, too!

    Do your magpies have any blue on them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Trixie, no blue in them I don't think. We have 3 distinct races, more or less geographically defined, and they do hybridise a bit, but they're all black and white or grey.
    We do have a few 'Magpie' Aussie Rules football teams, who are of course black and white, and perhaps at the end of a game, they might also be blue all over!
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete