Sunday, June 29, 2008

Giffard Flora Reserve

Phone Call
J & N called from Magnetic Island the other day and asked that while they were away, in sunnier climes, would I mind taking their car for a run now and then. I decided to shoot down, er sorry, drive sedately down to Giffard today.

Birds
The birds were a little light on. White-eared Honeyeaters were 'chock - chocking' away, and a good sized colony of Brown Thornbills with their beautiful deep rolling little call were nearby as I pulled up. Way up overhead, a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles soared in lazy circles in the sky - apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein.
Promising
I decided to concentrate on the ground. Last season, this reserve was a favourite site for a range of wildflowers. Things look promising again, as fairly quickly I came across plenty of orchid leaves.

I also stumbled across this beautiful Correa sp amongst the bracken.


Banksias
On the sandy ridges, there were a few old banksias that were beyond help. However, in many places wonderful old Mother Nature was seeing to it that they would be replaced.
I Do Wonder Why
I hold the Department of Sustainability and Environment, Parks Victoria and others, in high regard for the effort they make to ensure we have remnant bushland like this reserve protected. I'm not so sure about some other individuals though.

Why would you choose such a wonderful spot to dump your car wreck? Don't worry J & N, I got the Calais home safe and sound. The second creek crossing was a bit iffy though!


2 comments:

  1. Looks like a good day out. You'll have to check those orchids out later in the season and post them up here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, sure will Mosura. Pretty sure I saw Mosquito and Wax Lip leaves and and several Greenhood rosette varieties. Should be good. I'll have to get Duncan down there soon.

    ReplyDelete